Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Mommy Confession #1

I went skydiving once. And I remember standing on the edge of the plane looking down at the desert a gazillion miles below me, thinking I am the most foolish human being on planet earth. I don't remember another time that I felt quite as incompetent. In those excruciating seconds, I was trying to make sense of how my former self had convinced my current self to entrust my life to whats-his-face strapped to my back in tandem.

I don't even remember his name, I remember thinking. It was a strange moment.

Second to foolish, I felt scared terrified. It just didn't seem right! Why why WHYYYYYYYY did I do this to myself?!!!!!! Ugh, to be 20-something again... no thanks.

ANYWAY. I jumped, landed safely, and it clearly all worked out.

I bring this up because I want you (whomever you are) to know that what I'm about to talk about right now is even more terrifying than that crazy day, teetering on the edge of that stupid plane.

My son is going to be TWO in 9 days and in addition to going to Disneyland with matching Mickey outfits, we're going to also transition him to his own big-boy bed.

NOT FROM HIS CRIB.
CONFESSION TIME: HE SLEEPS SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF HUBBY AND ME!
SECRET'S OUT.

And you know what sucks? I actually love that he sleeps in our bed! He's so cuuuuuuuuute and funny and CUUUUUUUUTE! And I know exactly where he is and how he's sleeping and when he wakes up and... everything else I'd need to know in the rare event that something happened. Not sure what the something would be, but just in case it was something I should worry about, I'm right there! I'm even pretty sure my husband likes him sleeping with us too. I mean, obviously, the baby sandwich sleeping has it's down side....... BUT, I've seen hubby roll over and kiss his mini-me all cuddled up to his side, and ohmygosh, how could anyone resist such adorableness?

With all that being said, it needs to be done. Because 2 turns into 3 and then 4, 5... and no married couple needs a 10 year old scooting them off the bed. It's never going to be easy, but the older he gets, it seems to be more and more daunting. Plus, we're preggo with baby #2 and I can't even imagine what a circus that would be -- all in one room?! One BED?! There's just no way.

Did I mention our son isn't just any soon-to-be 2 year old??? I mean, I know every Mom thinks her kid is super unique, but my kid is like SUPER UNIQUE. When he's sleeping, he reaches his hand over to me (or hubs) and grabs my shirt, just to make sure I'm there. He grips it like he's saying I own you Mom (in the most loving way possible of course because he's the sweetest), and if I'm not by his side, he wakes up! It doesn't matter what phase of sleep he's in! He knows! He's a Jedi Master.

Note: Up to this point, the natural tendency for some (thankfully not all) Moms is to make a dozen judgements about me and my parenting. 
Remind me to write a blog on how we need to seriously respect each other as Mom's in all our diversity... 
But the truth is, we all have failures and successes and more than half the time, we know where we went wrong and are fully aware that we're doing damage control. No duh we should've had stronger willpower 18ish months ago! The options were endless. But like Beyonce says: you made your bed, now lay in it. 

The struggle is real.

Let's talk strategy. First of all, we're getting Mickey Mouse bedding. In fact, the whole gang'll be there: Minnie, Daisy, Donald, Pluto, Goofy... his room will be his happy place. Next trick: a furry rug. He LOVES a furry rug. A furry rug to him is like a hot cup of coffee to me. BLISS.
Any parent who can google knows that a bedtime routine is key. We've got it down. We just need to start this routine in HIS room, in HIS bed (which by the way, he currently thinks is a trampoline).
And we've gotta be determined. Still deciding if Hubby should do this transition solo because I'm not sure the mama bear in me can handle the protest this little man will unleash.
The most important part of our strategy is PRAYER. It works. And I need a healthy dose of divine intervention to survive this milestone.

I think the hardest thing to swallow right now is that it's really happening: he's growing up. I remember the feel of his little booty in my hands the second the doctor put him on my chest. He was perfect. With a head full of hair. This little baby unlocked the softest parts of my heart and is the closest I've ever gotten to understanding God's love. How is it possible that he's become this hilarious, talkative, charming TODDLER? ...with a wingspan so wide, he literally can push me off our California King.

Someone once told me that in parenthood, "the days are long, but the years are short." Maybe the truest statement ever. Or top-ten anyway.

So, cheers to our rockstar little boy and his rockstar new room and his rockstar parents and the rockstar blog I will write once we've successfully transitioned him into his rockstar Mickey Mouse bed. Because this journey is simply the BEST and I'm savoring every single second. Admittedly, we built a pretty bad habit in having him in our bed all this time, but I can brag that I've gotten more cuddles and kisses then I can count... and with that type of pay-off, it's hard to have any regrets.

Life is good.






9 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and very true. He will transition and you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your perspective on parenthood. FYI-Aly is 12 and still joins us in bed sometime in the wee hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing happened with us! Same story,you are not alone. We first started off with a toddler bed next to our bed then we moved it to him own room. It was hard for me to let go but it had to be done because I was pregnant as well. And it will be hard. There will be crying both you and child. You will miss him and he will miss you! You have to be strong though. If you give In he will continue to do it! Eventually you both will overcome it and enjoy it! Now I have 2 boys and they share a room together and they are inseparable! They have each other and I have my own bed with the hubby! Wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing happened with us! Same story,you are not alone. We first started off with a toddler bed next to our bed then we moved it to him own room. It was hard for me to let go but it had to be done because I was pregnant as well. And it will be hard. There will be crying both you and child. You will miss him and he will miss you! You have to be strong though. If you give In he will continue to do it! Eventually you both will overcome it and enjoy it! Now I have 2 boys and they share a room together and they are inseparable! They have each other and I have my own bed with the hubby! Wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Deven (soon to be 5) slept with me every night until about 7 months ago. I was also sad that I would miss his grip on my shoulder that he had to have in order to fall asleep. Now that he's in his own room, I still go to bed with him every night and sneak away once he's asleep. I still have the monitor on him (just in case) and he knows it so I think it helps him know mama is just one "Mommy!" away. About a week ago, he said "it's okay you don't have to stay you can go do your chores". So I did. It was definitely a turning point for us....lol I didn't wanna go do my chores, I wanted to stay where I was right next to my baby! So we will just take it night by night until he's ready (and I'll just have to be). <3 - Tiffanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our 3 year old (the baby ��) has his bed as a sidecar next to ours. I know he is growing up, and will want to go into brothers room soon, but for now only mom will do. And, I'm ok with that. You will do great!

    Miss you in AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our 3 year old (the baby ��) has his bed as a sidecar next to ours. I know he is growing up, and will want to go into brothers room soon, but for now only mom will do. And, I'm ok with that. You will do great!

    Miss you in AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This response made me tear up. There is nothing like being a Mama. Our boys steal our hearts in ways that are perfectly perplexing. Thanks for sharing!!!!!! Miss you!!!!!! <3 xoxoxoxooxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids all slept in our bed as babies. I would transition them to a crib ... on my side of the bed. When I finally transitioned them to a bed in another room, it was much harder on me than it was on them. Hang in there Kristin, you can do it. ☺️

    ReplyDelete